Sunday, March 22, 2009

Not much sleep tonight

Tomorrow is the big day... our court date! I'm up late not necessarily because I want to be. I'm having a hard time settling down to go to sleep. If all goes well, in a few hours I will legally be Semira's mommy. This is one of those big days that changes your life forever. You don't have many of those in your life. Not ones that you recognize at the time anyway. Thinking back on those life-changing days, I can really only count a few. The awful Christmas Eve my dad was diagnosed with cancer. The night he died. The day I decided to put my needs first and buy my first house, which corresponded with the day I decided to end a long-term relationship I finally realized was going nowhere. The day I turned in the final draft of my dissertation. Waking up on my PhD graduation day in Hawaii anticipating a gorgeous day of diving with my boyfriend at the time (way more fun than another graduation ceremony). The day of my unconventional interview for my teaching job. The phone call notifying me I was chosen to be an intern at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory.

This will definitely be another one of those life-changing days. Semira's Grandpa Ron would be so happy. He's been gone for almost 10 years but some days you feel the loss more than others. This is one of those days.

My phone is plugged in and charging in anticipation of a call in the morning. I'll post news as soon as I get it. I'm off to bed with my girls (the dogs).

2 comments:

Chantelle said...

I cannot wait for good news for you! I have been thinking about all of you guys the past 24 hours! I am praying this will be the only court date you will have to wait through!
I cannot wait to see pics of your baby girl!!!
Keeping my fingers crossed!
Chantelle

Lizie said...

I am on pins and needles awaiting the call. I have been told I must call Tim in Cozumel and let him know!!

Lisa