Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Dossier update

I just got a call from Courtney at IAN. I overlooked the fact that they spelled my name wrong on one of my documents. Ugh! Hopefully it'll be a quick process to get that document replaced.

She also had really good news for me. Since that was the only problem with my dossier, I've secured my spot on the waiting list! I'm currently #3! She had no idea how long it'll take to get my referral for my child, but I can't imagine it'll take very long. So exciting!

Of course the excitement of the referral will be tempered by frustration that I won't be able to pick up my baby in Africa until late in the year. The courts in Ethiopia will be closed soon, certainly before my paperwork makes its way through Authentication in Washington DC and translation in country. And they don't open again until October 1.

Meanwhile, I'm working on other preparations. I've been in communication with a doctor who specializes in international adoptees. He said he'll be available to look over the baby's medical information when it comes in. From that, he'll give me an assessment as to whether the baby is at low, medium, or high risk for major problems.

I also got some shots yesterday. I never imagined how many vaccines would be recommended by the travel clinic. Since I hate hospitals and hate being sick I decided to go for the whole recommended suite. No bad effects at all other than sore arms.

I also made my first visit to Babies R Us yesterday. Wow, that's an overwhelming place. Lots of choices for all major equipment though, which is nice. I looked at all of the typical baby must-haves... cribs, high chairs, car seats, bedding, etc. I got a little antsy to buy some stuff, but decided to hold off until I know more about my baby.

No comments: