Monday, August 24, 2009

State Fair

A very hot Semira with the famous Iowa State Fair butter cow
A stroll through the state fair sprinklers sure felt good!

Dancing with her great aunt Glennys
Semira and Mom at the wedding

Semira and I recently took a trip to Iowa to attend our cousin Gina's wedding and introduce Semira to the extended family. She was inundated with relatives, and she charmed every single one of them. She had lots of neat experiences while she was there. She attended the famous Iowa State Fair one day, where she had her first tastes of tenderloin and funnel cake and saw the butter cow. She had her first taste of fresh-picked corn on the cob. She got to dance with her great aunts at Gina's wedding reception. She entertained a whole row (maybe 2) of cousins during the wedding ceremony by playing peekaboo with them over the back of our pew. We had a nice time but it was really good to get back home.
Semira started day care last Thursday. Like most new moms, I was apprehensive about dropping her off that first day. I was sure we'd both be sobbing before I left. But she saw the other children and gladly went to her teacher so she could start playing. She loves "school," and starts squeaking every morning when she realizes that's where we're headed. School really takes it out of her. She slept 14 hrs that first night after coming home. She was back to her usual 12 hrs the next night. She's already looking tired this evening and it's only 5:30. I think it'll be an early dinner and bedtime for the baby girl.

4 comments:

K said...

That's so exciting! So have classes officially started at Tarleton?

Leah Reeves said...

What can I say, but she is so cute!

~Leah

The Andersons said...

Great pics! WHat fun!. Can you share your hair secrets? Her's looks great and also looks a lot like my Grace's. I'd love to know how you do it!

Beth said...

Hi Andersons,

My secret? Her hair takes care of itself! I wash it with baby cocoa butter shampoo before she goes to bed, and towel-dry it. Her hair is fine enough that it's usually completely dry by the time I put her to bed 5-10 minutes later. I run a brush through it in the morning and that's it!