Thursday, June 4, 2009

I'm feeding myself...

... and some of the food actually makes it into my mouth!

Miss Semira has finally decided that it's ok to feed herself. The trade-off is that I am no longer allowed to feed her anything with a spoon. The aftermath of an attempted feeding is found on her high chair tray and face. And clothes too. So I've been looking for different foods that she can feed herself without interference from me and a spoon. Her lack of teeth makes it a little bit more challenging, but we went to the store today and got some Gerber puffs, frozen veggies we can steam and cut up, frozen fruit (which I thawed and gave her and she immediately spit out), bananas, crackers that get mushy in her mouth, teething biscuits, vanilla wafers, and some mild cheese. I think she's set for now.


We spent the weekend at Semira's grandma's house in Austin. Her grandma and Aunt Merritt threw a fantastic Welcome Home Semira party. I was once again overwhelmed by people's generosity. Her gifts filled the back of our car. She got some beautiful clothes, a few toys, lots of dishes and utensils, and lots of pool accessories including a pink life jacket, sunscreen, some cool shades, and a chair for the patio.

It was fantastic to see everyone who attended, including a few representatives from the Iowa part of the family. Semira loves a party. She entertained everyone. Since I was busy juggling Semira and a drink and gifts, my sister and aunt took photos. I'll post some when I'm able.

The photos below are of Semira and her Aunt Merritt, and with her Uncle Jeremy the morning after her party. She's wearing the dress Jeremy's girlfriend CP gave her, and the headband her grandma made her.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm glad she's decided to feed herself, even if it makes it more challenging for you. It was wonderful to see you on Saturday and of course finally meet Semira. She is so precious! I have lots of pictures to send you. :-) Let me survive next week and then we can plan a trip for me to come visit. Take care!